Lion's Pride: Twins

<<
Introductions
>>

They met Chris that evening, by the less-than-pleasant method of helping him clean out the rooms above the bar. He was a little older than Ellone, a stocky redheaded man whose short orange hair was now heavily streaked with silver - redheads having a tendency to go grayer sooner than other hair shades. His face, shoulders and upper arms were so liberally decorated with summer freckles that it looked more like a patchy tan dotted with pink spots of sunburn. He gave them to understand his family had lived in Winhill since its founding a few centuries past, and didn't like strangers, and if either of them looked like they were taking advantage of his wife's hospitality he would personally escort them to the edge of the village.

Chwaer watched him warily as she helped him move boxes out of the dusty upper level - she didn't much appreciate being threatened by strangers, but knew from her father and Irvine that this was more or less standard treatment from any Winhill native to an outsider. She took care to make sure neither she nor her sister lifted boxes that were obviously too heavy for 'young girls' to lift, though in truth the work would have gone faster if they could have gotten Chris out to move everything themselves. This, at least, Cariad accepted as necessary deception - so neither of them picked up boxes that were as heavy as those Chris selected, and both affected to be more tired by the work than they really were. As a result, by the time the upper level was cleared it was well into night.

"Well, you've done your share of work with no complaining," Chris grumbled when they finished. "I suppose it'd only be manners to invite ye down for dinner."

Chwaer nodded solemn acceptance, while Cariad smiled so happily that Chris was startled to find himself smiling back. He quickly got a grip on himself though, and said, "Thrustaevis, fried. Hope ye like it."

Cariad's hand flew to her mouth as her pale eyes opened wide. For a moment it looked as though she might cry. Chwaer instantly wrapped her sister in a hug. "My sister is a vegetarian, sir," she explained to Chris. "She's not so much upset at the idea of us eating Thrustaevis, as the idea that you might want her to join you. Do you have anything she might make into a salad or something?"

"Howin'ell did you two manage to live long enough to get to Winhill?" asked Chris incredulously. "It's not like there's a whole lot besides monsters out there." He waved his hand placatingly. "No, never mind that. I'm sure we can dig up something for your tenderhearted sister," he grumbled, and practically stomped his way down the stairs to the bar.

"I..I'm sorry, Chwaer," mumbled Cariad from within her sister's embrace. "I know I should have expected that."

"Yes, you should," said Chwaer, but without rancor. "Not everyone is like you, you know." She took a look around the open and clear space. It was essentially a loft, with a small bathroom through a door in the far wall. It had been many years since anyone lived here, by the look of it, but it was more than enough space for the two of them. "Take a look, sister," she said. "I think we can live very happily here."

Cariad pulled away from her twin and looked around, a mixed expression on her face. "This is a good place," she said after a bit. "A lot of good has happened here, and only a little sorrow." She blinked. "It feels like Father is here."

Chwaer slanted a glance at her sister. "Do you mean overlap? Like he's standing in this room on his side of life?"

Cariad looked puzzled. "N-no..." she stumbled. She considered the question for a while, then shrugged helplessly. "No, not like he's nearby on the other side. Just...like he's been here. Maybe Au-" at a warning glare from her twin, she amended herself, "Maybe Ellone would know?"

Chwaer sighed. "You really want to talk to her about Father, don't you," she commented with dry amusement. "Look. We don't have much of his looks, thank Hyne, but we do have his eyes. And Grandma Raine's eyes, for that matter. Ellone knew them both. We can't have her making connections. Particularly not here, in Grandma's bar. I'm sure if she's meant to know she'll find out whether we want her to or not. In the meantime you could at least try to keep the relationship a secret?"

"I'm not making this up, Chwaer," said Cariad stubbornly. "I will swear it feels like Father has been here. Or is here, somewhere."

"And I think you're letting your imagination get the better of you, but we'll ask Irvine to take us into eternity to night and you can ask Father then, all right?"

Cariad ducked her head and smiled, satisfied. "All right," she said pleasantly. "Only we should do that now, to make sure he gets the message. No telling where the Garden is right now after all."

"I'll do that, if you don't mind," quipped Chwaer, and grabbed the electronic notepad. "I know if you do it you'll arrange to include Ellone in the festivities, and that'll get both you and Irvine in trouble with Griever." Quickly she tapped out a message to Irvine in the code the Pride preferred to use, then switched the notepad off. "Now - we have dinner. If you want to be useful, memorize the conversation. Father has had no word of Ellone in several years, and it might be something he'd like to know."

"Like this Chris person," nodded Cariad. "I'd like to know more about him."

"What's to know?" shrugged Chwaer. "He's growly and surly and will probably drive us right out of town." She smiled. "Or at least he'll try to. Let's go."

The two of them descended the stairs and went out through the bar to Ellone's house next door. The meal was, indeed, fried Thrustaevis, but there were side dishes enough to keep Cariad happy. Ellone found the idea of vegetarianism intriguing. Chris made no attempt to disguise his irritation with the idea.

"Tell us about life here," asked Cariad in the curious tone that often got her what she wanted. "Winhill is such a beautiful place."

Ellone smiled, and shared a look with Chris before answering. "I suppose you'll need my version rather than his," she said. "After all, I've lived other places and I can compare the lifestyles." She paused, swirling and iced tea in its glass as she thought. "Winhill is a world all its own," she began quietly. "I lived here when I was a small child, with Laguna and Raine, and it seemed like such a magical place then - well, until the day the soldiers came. It's still magical, in a way. The rest of the world grows and changes, but Winhill always stays exactly the same. It's like Time doesn't pass here." She smiled ruefully, brushed delicate fingers past the gray in her hair. "It does, of course. But people are almost an afterthought here. The buildings have been this way since their first construction, only needing a few repairs or a coat of paint now and then."

"Bullshit," interjected Chris mildly, rolling his eyes. "You know when you first got here this house was in shambles, and the bar not much better. Things do change here, just ... slowly. So people don't get overwhelmed the way they do everywhere else."

Ellone sent Chris a stern look that clearly said 'this is my story here', and continued. "Winhill isn't very attractive to the young," she said sadly. "It's only when you've had your fill of change that Winhill looks like a good place to be, and for many it's too late then - the villagers won't accept them, and they have to move away again. I suppose I was lucky in that regard - I had lived here as a child, and I was welcome to return." She sighed, and picked at her dinner. "I hoped once that my brother might come here, but even then I knew it would only be after he'd been shot at one too many times - him or Rinoa." She shook her head slowly. "He never got the chance to see what all his fighting won. And Laguna deserved a place here but the villagers wouldn't give it to him..."

"Cos Laguna was responsible for Raine dying, that's why," growled Chris. "I know you liked the guy and it's understandable since he took care o' you, but what about his wife and son, eh? Where was he for them? Off gallivanting in Esthar!"

Ellone frowned. "Please, Chris. We've covered this ground. Let it be."

"We would be happy to live here if we are allowed to," said Chwaer quietly. "I know we're young, but sometimes that doesn't mean much. We'd like nothing better than a quiet life away from trouble."

"Really?" asked Ellone. "What sort of trouble would follow you around so young?"

To Chwaer's surprise it was Cariad who was quicker with an answer. "There are...bad things...going on in Galbadia, Ellone. And what's left of our family is affected. We have a sister and three brothers, scattered all over the world right now, and we may never see any of them again because of it, or if we do it must be brief visits kept secret. Do you understand what it is to be hunted by a government for things beyond your control, Ellone?"

Ellone did, and both of the twins knew it - Cariad had hit upon exactly the right words to convince their aunt to shelter them, without revealing the particular truth they had to hide. She nodded. "Yes, Cariad, I do. I would ask that you show me, if you can, what it is the government hunts you for - just to satisfy my curiosity - but if that is why you're here you are more than welcome to stay. I wish more than anything I had been able to stay here when trouble hunted me."

Chris was not so open, though. "Aye, I want to see this trick of yours too. Winhill will hide you if it can, but we can't hide every fugitive what comes to our gates."

"We only need a safe place to stay," said Chwaer. "Let us worry about defending ourselves. And if we're found, you have our word we'll flee rather than fight. The people after us...are too strong for Winhill hunters." It went without saying that SeeD was too strong a foe for any single city-state to fight, but it wouldn't do any good right now to name their enemy.

"Just answer me this," said Ellone. "Before we go and see your demonstration. Are either of you Sorceresses?"

"No," said Chwaer in a relieved tone, with Cariad's nod of agreement. "Actually...we're pretty sure we couldn't inherit a Sorceress' power either. We'll explain as much as we know when we show you - is there a good open place outside the village?"

"Outside it?" asked Ellone, surprised. "Something a little more dramatic than my own little power, is it? Yes, there's a good field to the east. It's all bluffs to the south." She looked down to find she'd finished her meal, as had the others, and began collecting dishes - Chwaer moving to help. It wasn't long before the dishes were cleared and washed, Chris wiping down the table and collecting the pots and pans that had been used for the cooking and Cariad drying things off.

The twins felt more than a little nervous as they walked out of the village with Ellone and Chris not far behind.

"Chwaer, aren't we not supposed to do this?" asked Cariad nervously.

"Ellone's the only one who might understand this aspect of our life," replied Chwaer. "And if it means she trusts us when we haven't anything else we can tell her...better to give her this secret than the other."

"I don't agree," hissed Cariad under her breath. "If we had to tell her one of our secrets, she deserves to know the other truth more than this one!"

"Good thing I'm here then, isn't it," said Chwaer flatly. "Or Father would have your ears."

"I think Chris is the more immediate danger," said Cariad. "After all, we didn't use our full power with the boxes earlier today."

"What's done is done," said Chwaer resignedly. "We have to live in the now." They reached a relatively open place and stopped, waiting for the puzzled Ellone and Chris to catch up.

"So, what is it about you two that couldn't be demonstrated within the safety of the village?" asked Ellone.

The twins held hands and faced them, and their quicksilver eyes began to glow redly. "This," they said together. "We were born with the power of the Guardian Force Brothers. Stand beside us, and we will summon it for you."

Chris swore. "Elle, they'll kill us both! You and your sympathy for strangers!"

But Ellone shook her head, though she didn't take her eyes from the eerie twins. "No, if they wanted to kill us they would have already. Come on, Chris. I want to see this." Calmly, she walked to the girls' side and said, "Show me."

Chris dashed to join his fiancee as the red in the twins' eyes flared. Immediately the ground began to shake around them, and Ellone and Chris were both knocked from their feet. The two girls remained perfectly still, as though the earth weren't moving at all. Abruptly the earthquake stopped, and everything was still. The red in their eyes faded, and they helped Ellone and Chris to their feet.

"This is why we are hunted," said Cariad softly. "We could do a lot of damage to a city, just the two of us. We don't want to, but we have this power and people want to make us use it."

"We won't use it while we're here," added Chwaer. "Not unless you ask it of us - if Winhill is attacked. We want to have a home, and if you have a home and want to keep it, you have to be willing to defend it."

"Well if it were up to me I'd have you out on your ears, so I would," snapped Chris. "Two little girls and you can level Winhill just by yourselves!"

Ellone regarded them thoughtfully. "What else can you do?" she asked. "I think there's more, isn't there?"

Chwaer nodded. "The power in us...we have to be together to call the earthquake but the rest we can do without it. We can see in the dark if we want to, see things other people can't - like motion detection beams and laser alarms and things like that. We're very strong, too." She turned apologetically to Chris. "We could have cleared that attic for you in fifteen minutes sir, but that would have given us away." Facing Ellone again, she continued, "We're very fast, and quick to heal, too. It's hard to hurt us - we're nowhere near as delicate as we look."

Ellone tapped her lips with a finger - so much Squall's gesture that Cariad startled. "You were born with this power," she said quietly, but both of them could hear the rest of the sentence. But your birth was not an accident of fate, was it?

Chwaer bowed her head. "We are the result of experimentation, Ellone," she said in answer to that silent statement. "By Odine, we were told. We don't know any more about our birth than that - not even who our mother was, or the circumstances of our conception. We were kept as foster children in Galbadia until we were ten. Now we are free...and we'd like to stay that way."

"Freakin' lab rats," growled Chris, but Ellone shushed him. Her brown eyes were old, very old just then, but filled with understanding.

"You can stay," she said quietly. "If I have your word you won't use your powers except in self defense. And that you won't call the earthquake within the boundaries of Winhill. I'll keep your secret for you. It's been a long time, but I remember what it was to be hunted."

Chris muttered and swore under his breath, but Ellone didn't seem to be worried so the twins let it go. It was a gift to be accepted so easily, and they knew it.

It seemed the stars of fate were smiling on them.


<<
Twins Index
>>

Lion's Pride Index